A global Humanitas Project based on its mission, vision and values, it works on the need to school our students in order to contribute to their personal development and professional future. To do so, we have established a project in Secondary Education which continues the work carried out in Elementary and Primary Education, focused on emotional intelligence and including a Professional and Academic Counselling Program. This demands a combination of scientific rigor and enough flexibility to take into account the great changes, both physical and psychological, that students experience at this age and that adds on the complexity of Secondary Education.
The Counselling Department works on two parallel programs to carry out this task:
- Emotional Development in Secondary Education (SEAL).
- Professional and Academic Counselling Program (POAP).
The success of both programs is based on the common work of the Counselling Department with the tutors, the Head of Studies and the rest of the teachers.
Emotional Development in Secondary Education (SEAL): The program takes place one hour per week, during the Tutor Hour. It covers topics such as self-knowledge, motivation, bullying, the dangers of the Internet, empathy and assertiveness, active listening, emotions, conflict resolution, self-esteem, peer pressure, tobacco, alcohol and drugs, affection and sexuality, gender violence, anorexia and bulimia, decision-making… They include talks by external agents, tutoring and groups activities in the classroom. Its purposes are…
- To develop self-knowledge: identifying thoughts, feeling and inner strengths, being capable of appreciating the way they have an influence on actions and decisions.
- Development of empathy: identifying thoughts and feelings on others.
- Emotional self-regulation.
- Developing the capacity to actively listen: on one hand, listening to oneself, on the other, listening to the rest.
- Development of problem-solving skills in order to make responsible decisions.
- Development of inter-personal abilities and conflict resolution.
- Prevention of bullying and cyber-bullying.
- Prevention of the consumption of tobacco, alcohol and drugs.
- Prevention of STDs and pregnancy.
- Development of morals and ethics.
Professional and Academic Counselling Program (POAP): Secondary education is a fundamental step in the development of the student which will play a role on his or her academic and future professional life. Consequently, a program has been created to guide students and parents when it’s time to make decisions.
- Informative talks for students and parents.
- Evaluations based on attitudes and skills.
- Individual skills with the students.
- Interviews with the parents or tutors of the students.
- Trips to Aula (Education Fair) and Universities.
Moreover, a Solidary Program has been implemented for 4th of Secondary Education on, in which the students collaborate with the ‘Mas por ellos’ NGO. Students can participate voluntarily with this organization to help build and maintain a school in Kibera (Kenya), called ‘GRACE HUMANITAS’.