Progress from Secondary Education is expected at this level: concepts have to be well understood and expanded, attitudes and dexterities on all subjects need to be fully acquired and the students must perceive their education as a way to develop and choose their academic and professional choices.
Since in Humanitas Bilingual School Tres Cantos we aim for an education which includes different languages, learning in English is given great importance and relevance at this stage (one third of the classes are taught in this language). French and German are also taught as a second foreign language and Mandarin Chinese is offered as an extracurricular subject. Moreover, the important inclusion of new technologies is still present, and students are encouraged to participate in social and solidary projects.
In Humanitas Bilingual School Tres Cantos we use a constructivist methodology, which aims towards schooling free, independent, critical people with a solid and whole education that enables them to face the challenges of a globalized world. Deductive methodology is also key, with the student playing the main role and the teacher as a facilitator in the learning process.
To do so, just like in Secondary Education, different teaching methods are used: Project-based learning (PBL), Flipped Classroom, teamwork (with collaborative and cooperative techniques), mobile learning, challenge-based learning (CBL) and experimental learning are all applied on the whole curriculum and on all the subjects, helping the student achieve the main competences, considering his or her individuality and context.
Cultural trips, visits to companies, fairs and workshops are all linked to different areas of knowledge and are related with the academic-professional counselling plan of each student.
On this stage, the role of the tutor and counsellor gain special relevance, as a way to support their social and affective development.
At this stage, the tutor and counsellor have a vital importance, as they play a supportive role in the social and affective development of the student. Therefore, the following programs are still carried out:
- SEAL Program, which consists on continuing the Emotional Intelligence project which takes place in Elementary, Primary and Secondary Education, which establishes a program covering topics such as self-knowledge, bullying, cyber-bullying, drugs, alcohol and gender violence, alongside the Tutor Program.
- Solidary Program with the NGO ‘Más por Ellos’. The students collaborate with the ‘Mas por ellos’ NGO. Students can participate voluntarily with this organization to help build and maintain a school in Kibera (Kenya), called ‘GRACE HUMANITAS’.
- Professional and Academic Counselling Program (POAP): A program that counsels students and parents in decision-making. The various options, optative subjects and key decisions are laid out in this program. To do so, we carry out…
- Visits to different universities.
- Meetings with different professionals.
- Individual interviews with students.
- Informative sessions for parents and students about the different professional options, based on the interest of the student on the different branches of knowledge and the skills, attitudes and goals of the student regarding professional development.
- ‘College Fair’, in the school, in which the main universities –both private and public, Spanish and foreign– so they can present the graduate and post-graduate studies to our students.
- Helping Students in ICT.Based on the Learning-by-Helping model, students at this stage become protagonists and responsible for the education of the younger students.This project aims towards empathy, prevention, detection and intervention in situations of conflict between different-age groups and good practice, promoting ethical values in the use of new technologies, improving their social competence, their knowledge on the treatment of information and use of ICT.
Students in this level are schooled on the contents to, later and with their own materials, explain and present them to younger students, becoming active protagonists in the process.